Monday, September 5, 2016

To Go Or Not To Go.......To The Movies

I love the movies. My first movie at a theater was E.T. and I was four. I am not sure if it was then that I got bitten by the movie bug, but I cannot remember a time that I didn't enjoy going to the theater. I also like watching movies in the comfort of my own home. There is nothing quite like snacking in bed or all snuggled up on the couch and watching a good flick.

My husband enjoys movies too, but he isn't a big fan of going to see one. He jokes that it's the price of the movie nowadays that forces him to want to just wait until it comes out on DVD. But there are certain movies I just have to experience on the big screen.

Our local theater is running a season of older movies each week and I was surprised when my husband offered to take me to go see The Neverending Story (circa 1984) on the big screen. I was beyond excited. I had planned to take our son to it but he didn't seem all that interested since he had seen the film many times already.



It was all I expected and more. I got to watch one of my top five favorite childhood movies in a theater and I literally felt like a kid again. I was alert and in awe and didn't get up once to use the restroom for fear I'd miss something. (It didn't matter that I have this movie memorized) The coolest part is that I am reading the book right now and was able to compare notes a bit with the film.

But our movie experience didn't end there. My husband ran us over to our favorite grocery store and we stocked up on snacks so that we could watch The Goonies (my #1 favorite kids movie) as soon as we got home. We were able to eat what we wanted and talk throughout the film because we were home. We paused the movie when we needed to and the atmosphere was super relaxed and comfortable.



So which experience was better? I just can't answer that. I loved both experiences equally. Movies are magical to me no matter where I see them. They remind me that life is not just what happens in my own little mind and that imagination is so much bigger than what I experience personally. So what would you choose? Do you love the movies? At the theater, at home, or both?

Happy Monday!
P.S. If you are local, you have a chance to see Willy Wonka, Blazing Saddles, and The Neverending Story this week at Showplace West 12. I also heard a rumor that Labrynth is coming next week. Oh no, this could be an expensive season. LOL.

You were one of the greats, Gene Wilder


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE going to the movies! It gets expensive because I have a hard time walking through the lobby without loading up on treats and snacks. My sister and her family have a projector and will play a movie on a sheet outside when the weather is nice. That's probably my favorite way to catch a movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I would love to watch a movie outdoors and not just at a drive-in. I almost forgot that Springfield does movies in the park. I have yet to try that out! Thanks for commenting! Movies rock!

      Delete