Wednesday, July 20, 2016

The Sisterhood of the Traveling, well.....Sisters!

Most people are blessed with siblings and it’s a bonus if the siblings become friends. We’ve been blessed to each have a sister (or two) in our lives and to call them friend is an understatement. Gina, Lisa, and Kandice have been foundation to every single friendship outside of the sisterhood because, well, they were and still are our first friends.

DISCLAIMER****to our brothers that we love VERY MUCH!!!! Please do not be upset that this post is just about the sisters.  You all mean just as much to us!!!  (Had to put that out there just in case they read this!  )


Kandice and I are eighteen months apart. We’ve done everything together, except one thing. Kandice and her family moved to Florida in July 2015 and I am still living in Illinois. I could give you all of the ugly details about how hard that was on me, but that wouldn’t be fun. I think what I want you to know more than anything is how space did nothing but draw Kandice and I closer together.




I knew firsthand how Kendra was feeling when Kandice moved away, because I experienced this with both Gina and Lisa. It was awful not having them here to lean on through some pretty tough times of our dad being sick, good times of birthdays and anniversaries, or just every day ordinary stuff. Fortunately, I now have them both back home with me.  My puzzle is complete, because two of the most important pieces are in their specific spots!    

I can remember Kandice being my tag-along for much of my childhood. I also remember how much it bothered me when she finally started hanging out with her own friends and instead of complaining she was a third wheel, I actually missed her a lot. Kandice has never really needed me, and I pretended like I didn’t need her, but I always did. I still do. Because everything I do in life feels just a little bit off balance if she isn’t somehow a part of it.

I’m the youngest of the three sisters, and I was definitely babied (still am!)  I was their living baby doll.  Some of the best childhood memories were getting my hair all curled and feathered and wearing makeup like my big sisters! Everything about me involves their influence in some way shape or form.  

If I have learned anything from having a sister it’s to not take them for granted. “Sisters by blood and friends by choice” is such a true statement. Kandice doesn’t have to be my friend but she chooses to. And the older we get, the more we watch our children grow, the distance we travel to be together again, is what strengthens us each year. I am so lucky to call her my sister.
  
There is definitely one thing that a lot of people notice when it comes to Gina, Lisa and myself.  We are FIERCELY PROTECTIVE of each other and our family. There has never been a time that we don’t have the others' back. I’m blessed that through my flaws or achievements they are my supporters and my biggest cheerleaders. How blessed I am that they are MY sisters. 


4 comments:

  1. It's not nice to make me cry at work girls! We are all blessed to have each other, love you girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. ❤️ Tomorrow is my birthday and what I really wanted was to just have my siblings (and someday BIL) over to just hang out and play games. There's honestly nobody I'd rather have over! I pray my children will all be there for one another in the same way. It really is something special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Brittle! There is nothing like family and that's why we need to love fiercely!!! Happy Birthday to you and we hope you have the best year yet!!!

      Delete