Friday, August 12, 2016

She's Got Legs



It’s late in the season but I came across the subject this week so I thought it would be a perfect blog post for all you ladies out there.  Sorry guys, you may not be interested in this, unless you participate in this ritual (whatever floats your boat).  I’m talking about the daunting task of leg shaving.  Men, when you hear a woman say she’s excited for fall or winter, she’s even more excited at the prospect of not having to shave her legs more than once a week (or month or the whole winter). Personally, I can’t stand to go longer than a week but it’s an individual preference. Anyway, I’m getting off track.  



I went to the pool with my besties this past week.  Two of them have pre-teen girls and we got into the discussion of when they were going to let their girls start shaving.  We started talking about what age we were when we started shaving (between 10-12 if you want to know). My first razor was a one blade disposable Bic and my shaving cream was a bar of soap.  Painful! Razor burn is no joke and I’m sure I cut myself; but I told my mom I wanted to shave and she was completely fine with my decision.  As a tween, you can’t wait to grow up and start doing all these things women get to do and then you grow up and realize what a chore it really is.  


I wised up with my selection of product the older I got because it’s not enjoyable taking chunks of flesh off your legs while you are trying to shave.  For some women, they skip the shaving process entirely and have the luxury of spending $$$ and getting their leg hairs lasered or waxed.  Others use depilatory creams (Nair).  Kudos to you who do this, but I am not one of them.  I have tried NUMEROUS razor brands and found that Gillette is by far my favorite to use.  Dave used the Gillette Mach 3 on his beard for years and his face was always so silky smooth, I figured it would be great for the legs! He started using a different brand so I switched to the Gillette Venus Embrace which I have been very happy with.  Another important step ladies, LATHER UP!  Using a bar of soap is going to leave your legs bumpy and dry! My favorite shaving cream is a good ole can of 98 cent Barbasol!  It’s the best for a super close shave and no irritation.  I know it doesn’t smell all fruity and girly but if it keeps the gams soft and silky then it serves its purpose.  As far as how long you should keep using the same razor, the great Guru Google search suggested keeping it until it feels dull or irritation occurs.  If you see rust on the blade, dispose immediately.  I am sure you all are more than capable of guessing that though!


Regardless of what method you use for hair removal, what brand of razor or creams you buy, after you get past the task, there’s nothing quite like a soft pair of legs to make you feel a little more girly! If it’s still something you absolutely dread, don’t fret…only 42 more days until fall!
Happy Friday!   - M -


Fun Facts about legs:
Shaving for women became popular in the 40's thanks to pin up models.
It’s better to shave legs towards the end of a shower.  The heat and steam will soften the hair and open the pores.
In case you were wondering, my favorite Van Halen song happens to be Drop Dead Legs.


3 comments:

  1. Fun fact: I barely grow hair on my legs and only have to shave them like every 6 weeks! And even longer in the winter. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! I hate shaving and look forward to the day I no longer have to do it. Fun read today sissy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard that over time, people lose their hair in all areas. I pray that my legs are the first to go!

    ReplyDelete