Monday, August 8, 2016

These are a few of my fav-or-ite.....books!

Reading has always been a huge part of my life. Books can be found in almost every room of my house. Under the end table by the love seat, my son’s books are neatly stacked in two piles. On the shelf in the dining room, there are an assortment of classic books and homeschool books (yes, I am a homeschool mom but more on that another time). In my bedroom, you will find my favorite books and the books I am currently reading. In the kitchen there are cookbooks and in the office the remaining collection of books rest on the shelves.

I think you get it; I love books. But there was a beginning to my love for books and it started with realizing how much books could transport me anywhere. It was Stephen King who said,….



And he was right. Books got me through my parents’ divorce, break-ups with boyfriends, fights with my sister, and deaths of those who mean most to me in the world. I would love to share all of the books that I love with you and why they mean so much to me, but I will narrow them down to just a few. Maybe you’ll see a title or two and want to read them yourself.



The Bell Jar- Sylvia Plath
This book got me through a lot. And you probably wouldn’t think so, since the context is about a girl who is depressed and wants to end her life. But that’s just it. I knew that life was so much more than the moment. When I read this book, each time that I read it, it gives me the ability to see that problems are temporary and life is so much bigger than me or my current dilemma.

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe- C.S. Lewis (The Chronicles of Narnia)
My Aunt Peggy (or Uncle Peggy as my sis and I call her) read this to us the summer she babysat us shortly after my parents’ divorce. This book was a portable magic to me in that it helped me forget about my current situation and live in a different world for a bit. I needed something to divert my attention from real life hurt and this book did just that.

Just As Long As We’re Together- Judy Blume
My childhood friends and I fell in love with this book from page one. It was about friendship and puberty and boys and life. I still own my original copy and will always cherish it as I transitioned from child to teen. (More on this one another time, right Misty?)

My original copy circa 1987


Little House on the Prairie- Laura Ingalls Wilder (Little House Series)
I was given my first copy in 1986 by my Grandma Biggs (the one who passed in June of this year) and I remember the way I felt reading Laura’s story. I wanted to be Laura Ingalls. I loved how she described the smell of grass and the way the wind blew or the creek sounded. This girl and her story still have my heart today.

Something Borrowed- Emily Giffin
One of the first books I felt like a grown-up when reading. It’s a raw glimpse of friendship and what happens when two women let one man come between them. It was one of the first books that made me realize how vulnerable I was to the world around me and how guarding my own heart would be one of the biggest responsibilities of my life.

The Hunger Games- Suzanne Collins
My sister gave me this book and told me that her book club had read it and she just knew it was more my style than hers. Boy was she right. I loved this book and finished it in one day and had to run out to Barnes and Noble and buy book two and three right away. (Thankfully, I was a bit behind the times and all three books in this trilogy were already out) Book one is and will always be my favorite of the three. 

The Hunger Games 


I have so many favorites that I am going to stop here and do another post on a few more at another time. I would love to know some of your favorite reads and why they mean so much to you. As you can see, I have a multi-genre palate when it comes to reading.


Happy Monday, friends and hopefully happy reading! ~K 

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely nothing beats a good book! Like you (and Stephen King, who just happens to be MY favorite author) said; books truly are portable magic!

    ReplyDelete